Thanks / Suggestions / Requests

Vos idées et demandes pour la prochaine mise à jour du script sont les bienvenues ici - Your ideas and suggestions for the next update.

Modérateurs : boulmontjj, Pierre G., Malabar, Otomatic

mschnell

Thanks / Suggestions / Requests

Messagepar mschnell » Ven 27 Juil 2012, 08:15

Hi Alex Team

Sorry for me (German) not having enough French to express myself decently. In fact even using the Forum is hard for me. :rouge:

I installed the GuestBook on seveal Websites and it is used very heavily (one installation shows more than 1600 entries see http://www.dressurstall-rothenberger.de/ -> "Gästebuch").

We also use the "Webmaster's note" a lot and the users are very thankful for that feature.

Right now I have installed version 5.0.2 (maybe I should upgrade...)

So many thanks for this exceptional software !!! :)

Now I have some suggestions / requests:

1) I installed several instances of the guestbook. On my old hoster I could use symlinks to prevent insalling all files (but the configuration files) multiple times. But I can't do this with my new hoster's server. So in fact I needed to do several independent installations. That of course is not the perfect way (either). It would be great if the guestbook could be installed in a "multi-client" way: a single installation supporting multiple guestbooks.

2) The mails the script sends to the admin, do not include a hint which of the multiple guestbook is the sender. If the guestbook is installed multiple times it's hard to find out the sending guestbook. It would be great if the installation would support an "identification" that is sent to the admin with any mail.

3) We get lots of spam entries each day. does the new version provide an enhanced spam prevention ?

4) As said, we use the "Administrator's note" feature a lot. Is there a suggested way to modify the header text of the notes (In German it is "Webmaster's Nachricht" ? Of course at best this would be a configuration option.

Thanks a lot !

-Michael

Malabar
Admin
Admin

Re: Thanks / Suggestions / Requests

Messagepar Malabar » Lun 30 Juil 2012, 17:36

Hello,

Thank you for your compliments.

I try to answers to your four remarks.

1. Very few users install multiples guestbooks on same server. It's complicated to develop a new functionnality for only 20-25 users.
  2. We noticed this problem a while ago and we added server name (from URL, here http://www.alexguestbook.net) in object email. Emails notifications is another one point to improve...
  3. No, new version (5.0.4) doesn't kill spam ! :(
    But we fixed several vulnerabilities, maybe spammers exploit one of them.
    In the future we want to add more possibilities (reCaptcha ? Logical query ?), but no date.
  4. Today to modify this text you have to edit manually file /languages/YOUR_LANGUAGE.php (example : /languages/dutch.php) and search this string to replace it.
    I add your request on my todo list. It's a good idea. ;)
Le mâle à barre (Maxime)

mschnell

Messagepar mschnell » Sam 04 Août 2012, 09:55

Thanks a lot for your response, and even more for the great software !

I'll keep tuned.

Re (4):

Funny:

I did change the Text in the file German.php, but this does not seem to cause any effect.

After that, I changed the language from German to English, but no effect either: while the date format is correctly changed, this text still is German, as well for old entries as for those done after changing the language.

Moreover I found that in one of the (unmodified) installations, this text is used as if it would be empty (only a ":" is shown. I checked that the german.php file is in it's original state.

Does php use some kind of cache for it's source files, so that modifications don't become effective right away ?

Any hints how to proceed ?

Thanks again,
-Michael

mschnell

Messagepar mschnell » Sam 04 Août 2012, 16:07

Hallo Malabar,

I tried to upgrade one of the guestbooks to the newest version of the script.

I copied the files of the distribution to the location on the server, the old files were, just overwriting them.

Now when starting the Guestbook I get nothing but a message that I need to upgrade the database.

I can start the administration of the guestbook, but here, I don't find an option for upgrading the database.

Unfortunately I can't search the forums for instructions, as I don't understand Frensh :( .

So please give me a hint how I need to proceed.

Thanks,
-Michael

Malabar
Admin
Admin

Messagepar Malabar » Sam 04 Août 2012, 18:16

Hello,

You have to read documentation include with guestbook in folder "documentation". We translated it in english (Pierre G. ;) ).
For another problem, please create a new thread in section "Installation & utilisation" :D
Le mâle à barre (Maxime)

mschnell

Messagepar mschnell » Sam 04 Août 2012, 21:23

The file agb/documentation/Instructions to upgrade from version 5.x to version 5.0.4.html sais:

"3. Do the same with the agb-update.zip file : unzip it and send the folder "update" on your server, still in the guestbook directory. "

But I can't find this file anywhere on your website.

after some googeling

I found the file in http://rapidlibrary.com/

It works !

Thanks,
-Michael

Malabar
Admin
Admin

Messagepar Malabar » Dim 05 Août 2012, 00:42

On page http://www.alexguestbook.net/e_downl.html see "Upgrading script".
Le mâle à barre (Maxime)

mschnell

Messagepar mschnell » Dim 05 Août 2012, 09:00

Yep. :rouge:

Thanks

Revenir vers « Suggestions d'amélioration du script »